Best Professional Automotive Diagnostic Scanner in 2018
Do you have a small car repair shop or just looking for a diagnostic scanner which can read more control units than the engine control unit and do all the required things for advanced troubleshooting? Then this is the post for you.
I work as a diagnostic technician and I have tested a lot of different diagnostic scanners. That’s why I decided to write this list to help others that are working with troubleshooting to help you choose a good diagnostic scanner for all your needs. This list has some mid-prized scanners and a high-end scanner made for professionals with all the necessary functions for small and mid-sized workshops.
To find a good diagnostic scanner which has the most functions you need, does not have to cost several thousands of dollars. You will find a list here and down below you will see the reviews from each diagnostic scanner. In the bottom, you will find an FAQ section about the most common questions.
Best Professional Automotive Diagnostic Scanner list
|Image||Name||Price Range||Price Check|
|Autel MaxiCOM MK808|
Best Value Scanner
|Autel MaxiSys Pro MS908P|
Best Proffesional High-end
|ANCEL FX6000||200-500$||Check Price|
|Autek IFIX919 |
|Launch CRP Touch Pro||200-500$||Check Price|
#5. Launch CRP Touch Pro Diagnostic scanner
The Launch CRP Touch pro is a diagnostic scanner with the most required functions that you need. It covers up 76 different control unit systems on 46 different car makes on American, European and Asian cars.
You can read the most control units as the Engine, Airbag, ABS and other required control units. It does also have the most required programming and reset functions like electric parking brake reset, service oil light reset and diesel particle filter regenerations. It is an Android 4.3 based system equipped with wifi for printing and updates. You will get a 12-month warranty and 12-month free software update guarantee.
- 46 different car model coverage like Jeep, Dodge, Toyota, Ford, Nissan and more.
- Wifi for printing and software updates
- Body, Chassis and Powertrain control unit scans
- Diesel Particle Filter regeneration
- Service Oil light reset
- Battery management reset
- Electronic Parking brake reset
- Steering angle sensor basic setting
- Freeze time and Graphs diagnostic data
- 5 inch LED screen with an easy-to-use interface
#4. Autek Code Reader IFIX919 (Best Budget)
The Autek IFIC919 is a really good scanner to cover the most control units and the most car models on the market for a really good price. Combine it with the Autek IFIX919 to cover even more vehicles on the market. This is a good scanner if you are looking for a budget scanner with a lot of required functions.
With this scanner, you can read a lot of different control units like engine, transmission, abs, airbag control units and you have a lot of required functions like TPMS reset, oil service light reset, advanced diagnostic functions. With this diagnostic scanner, you will get lifetime free software updates from the manufacturer. This scanner covers the most car models from 1996-2016 and it works well with American, European and Asian car models.
- Full OBD2 scan for the most control units like engine, transmission, abs, airbag and others
- Compatible with over 40 car brands
- Easy to use and beautiful modern software
- Electric Parking brake reset
- Oil service light reset
- Airbag SRS crash data
- Steering angle sensor reset
- Immobilizer diagnostics
- Graphs and Freeze time diagnostics data
- Free lifetime software update
#3. ANCEL FX6000
The Ancel FX6000 is pretty similar to the Autek IFIX919 diagnostic scanner, but it has some more functions and a better programming ability if you are looking for that functions. A very good scanner for a low price with the most required functions for a small workshop.
This diagnostic scanner can read the most required control units like an engine, ABS, airbag, transmission control units and much more. The benefit of this scanner is that it has a lot of coding & programming functions, which is perfect for smaller workshops that need to code their vehicles. With this scanner, you will get a 2-year free software update via their website. This scanner works with the most car brands from 1992 to 2017 car models.
- Diagnostics of the most required systems like ABS, Engine, Airbag, Transmission
- 2 years free software update
- Oil Light service reset
- TPMS sensor reset
- Diesel Particle filter regeneration and reset
- Advanced Coding & Programming
- 4.3″ LED screen with an easy-to-use interface
- Steering angle sensor calibration
- Electric parking brake reset
- Graphs Diagnostic Data
- Immobilizer diagnostics
#2. Autel MaxiSys Pro MS908P (Best Performance)
Now we have come to the most high-end performance diagnostic scanner in this review. If you have a small or mid-sized workshop with a steady economy, I would recommend you to invest in this diagnostic scanner. I have tested a lot of different diagnostic scanner in the price range of 100-50.000$ and I must say that this scanner is one of my favourites for the price. Of course, the 50.000$ scanners had a lot more functions, but for the price, you can’t find any better scanner in my opinion.
The Autel MaxiSys Pro MS908P have all the functions you need for the most car models on the market. If you want other programming abilities you can add additional features like TPMS programming tools and other programming tools. It comes with a 9.7″ LED touch display with Android OS. With this diagnostic scanner, you can do advanced programming software updates to a lot of vehicles, and have the functions for advanced troubleshooting. It comes with 12 different adapters to make it fit the most vehicles on the market.
- Compatible with over 80 different car brands
- 9.7″ LED Touchscreen
- WiFi for printing and other diagnostics
- 12-month warranty and free software updates
- Read all the required control units like ECM, PCM, ABS, Airbag and a lot of more
- Advanced Software updates to vehicles
- Advanced Troubleshooting Data
- Graph’s and Freeze time data
- Coding & Programming
- 12 kinds of adapters to cover the most car brands
- Active diagnostic tests
- Instant Support
- TPMS Coding / Reset
- Anti-theft key matching programming
- Control unit basic settings
- Dashboard Instrument cluster replacements
Video Review from Autel
#1. Autel MaxiCOM MK808 (Best Value)
The Autel MaxiCOM MK808 is a must if you have a small workshop and are looking for a real high performing diagnostic tool for automotive car workshops. It has a lot of functions that the MaxiSys Pro diagnostic scanner have, for 1/4 of the price. If you are do not want to spend the money for a MaxiSys scanner, but still want a high functional scanner that has the most required functions, the MaxiCom should be your choice.
The Autel MaxiCom MK808 can read the most different control units in the most car brands on the market and you will have the most required coding & programming functions like service light reset, electric parking brake reset, key programming and much more. You will get a 12-month warranty and 12-month free software updates from Autel. It has a 7″ LED touchscreen with a really easy-to-use interface with a performance A9 processor with Android OS.
- Full OBD2 diagnostics
- Diagnostics of the most control units like Airbag, ABS, ECM, TCM and much more
- 12-month warranty with 12-month free software updates
- WiFi for printing & Diagnostic functions
- 7″ LED touchscreen with an easy-to-use interface
- Instant Tech Support
- Advanced Coding & Programming
- Diagnostic Graphs and Freeze time data
- Key Programming
- Oil Service light reset
- Electric parking brake reset
- Steering angle sensor calibration
- Diesel particle filter regeneration and reset
- ABS brake bleeding
- TPMS(Tire pressure monitoring system) Relearn & Reset
- Immobilizer key programming
- Battery management system reset
FAQ about Professional Automotive Diagnostic Scanners
I have a small workshop, and looking for an overall usage scanner, which should I choose?
If you have a really small workshop and not a lot of money to spend, I would choose the MaxiCom MK808 diagnostic scanner. It’s a very cheap diagnostic scanner for the most required functions for a small workshop and it can read the most car models. If you already have an established workshop and are looking for a more advanced one, I would choose the MaxiSys MS908P. The price of that scanner is 4 times higher than the MaxiCom, but you will also get a lot more required functions and it can scan and program more car models.
Which car models can these scanners read?
The most of these scanners can read all the control units of the most common car models on the market, but you should always check the product specifications on the product before buying your diagnostic scanner. Some scanners are better on American, European cars and some are better on Japanese cars. Check the product specification to find what models it can read and which control units. You should also check the programming ability if you are looking for such functions.
Can I read the ABS, Airbag and other control units with these diagnostic scanners?
These scanners can often read the most control units, depending on which car model. Check the product specification of the product to find out which control modules it can read and for which car models. You should also check the ability of programming control units if you are looking for these functions. Cheaper diagnostic scanners can often only read the Generic Engine control unit trouble codes.
Does it cost to update these scanners?
These scanners come with free updates after purchase. Check the product description and manual to learn how to upgrade your scanner and make sure it has the latest software installed for the best scans and diagnostic functions. Some of these scanners have automatic scheduled updates, and you just have to use the WiFi to make it update automatically.
Is these prices a One-time fee, or do I have to pay monthly also?
These diagnostic scanners have a one-time fee and you do not have to pay monthly fees to keep them updated. Check the product description on the product for the right information about the updates. This is what makes these scanners good, several other professional diagnostic scanners have an expensive monthly fee to get them updated to the latest software after purchase.
Do I have to buy any additional parts for these diagnostic scanners?
It depends on what functions you need. For some of these scanners, you can buy additional functions like TPMS programming and other programming and diagnostic functions. Check what functions you need for your diagnostic scanner and buy the equipment after that. As I said before, these scanners have the most required functions for small workshops and in many cases, you do not need the additional functions.
There are cheaper diagnostic scanners out there, should I buy a cheaper one?
The cheaper OBD2 scanners can often only read the engine control module and the generic trouble codes. This may not be enough for the most workshops and you should look for a bit more expensive and advanced diagnostic scanner. If you still want a cheaper diagnostic scanner you can check out our other review for cheaper scanners: OBD2 scanners. These scanners do often not have programming and basic settings functions like the diagnostic scanners in this review.
- If you have a small new-started car repair shop and looking for a cheaper scanner, choose the MaxiCom scanner.
- If you have a small established or mid-sized car repair shop and are willing to spend a bit more on a better diagnostic scanner, the MaxiSys should be your choice. It has the most required functions and has a really high value-for buck in my opinion.
- Cheaper diagnostic scanners can often only read the generic engine control unit trouble code memory.
- If you want other functions like TPMS programming, you do often have to buy additional parts for your diagnostic scanner.
- These scanners have a free software update, check the description to get the correct information, as it may update.
- These scanners can read the most control units, and not only the generic trouble code memory.
- Check our article tools every car owner should have for other recommended tools to have both at home and at a car repair shop.
If you have used any of these scanners and want to leave your own review of them, comment down below! If you have any other car questions you are welcome to ask them at our homepage or contact us page.